Saturday 1 March 2014

'City of Glass 18 - (Mystery)' 80x40cms oil on canvas

 
Dense, intense, colour. The parallel vertical lines, echoes and extensions of the grid pattern of the streets, 'de-flatten' and twist the island shape of Manhattan, and suggest a structure, a building...
 
This painting began as a 'teaching' painting on last years' Porthleven course. Some fabulous blues and exciting marks but I never believed in it - why should I? - there was no time for contemplation and thought and the language was not my own. What I did keep was the blue dot on red, which became the colour-scheme and the starting point in this painting and my Columbus Circle.
 
'Mystery' refers to both to the experience of the viewer - what am I looking at? - and to the mystery within the novel that inspired the series.
 
 
detail:  Columbus Circle - 14th St


 *  'The New York Trilogy' by Paul Auster
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment